Friday, August 3, 2012

Sandy Rogness


This is my first trip to Haiti, my first mission trip. It’s been my first year of retirement from teaching after 22 years focused especially on how to help those with special needs in a classroom. It’s my 59th year of looking out for my impaired sister; 35 years as her legal guardian. It’s my 36th year of marriage, 34th year of being a mom to two sons, 6th year of being a grandmother to now three girls and a boy. It’s my 43rd year of being a volunteer in my church in many varied roles. It’s been 21 years since my husband and I helped our eldest son fight successfully through 8 years of chemotherapy for Leukemia. In all of those years I have never wondered what God had in store for me until this past year. Events just seemed to be placed in front of me and the strength of the Holy Spirit was with me. Yet now, it’s been almost a year of trying this and that wondering how the Lord thinks I should serve best. I knew Jessica B. kept visiting Haiti, and I had followed her blogs. I told her mom, "You should go!" Then six months ago, her mom, Cheryl, said, "Well, I’m going. Are you?" Here I am, anxiously waiting to greet God’s people of Haiti. Oddly enough, all of those other experiences and skills seem to have melted away, and I feel like a newborn asking God to make me a servant in the best way possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment