Sunday, August 3, 2014

Mona Young


This is my first mission trip.  I am the mother of four boys.  As my oldest son was approaching adulthood, I wanted to share an unforgettable experience with him before he left our home to begin to build his own life.  I first considered visiting Europe with him, but the idea of doing a mission together soon took over.  The church I attend focuses on mission work, so almost every week I heard of either the planning of a mission trip or the results of a mission trip.  Nikki, one of our team leaders, is a former coworker of mine and she often spoke of her missions to Haiti.  Another coworker traveled to Haiti with Nikki last December and her enthusiasm for Haiti was contagious.  When I suggested a mission to Haiti, Konrad was thrilled with the idea.  So Haiti it is! Last week our pastor gave a sermon focusing on a passage of scripture in Matthew, wherein Jesus tells his disciples how one’s actions in this life will be determinative at the time of the Final Judgment.  It contained the following passage, which spoke directly to my heart and could not have been more appropriate for the last sermon before this trip to Haiti.

Then the King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’   Jesus  

No comments:

Post a Comment