Friday, August 8, 2014

Fragile

       Each night at our team meeting, we all choose a word to describe our experiences during that day. Today my word was fragile. When we went to the home for sick and dying babies, I had to be really careful and gentle with all of the babies, because a lot of them were really fragile. But I realized that I was fragile too, in an emotional way. After a while we had to leave, and it took me a long time to say goodbye to the baby that I was rocking back-and-forth in my arms. I had been holding him for a while and even sang him a couple of songs. Every time I had set him down in his crib, he started to cry because he wanted me to keep holding him. Usually I just picked him back up and continued singing to him. But setting him down for the last time, I knew I wouldn’t be there to comfort him any longer. It took me a few minutes to bring myself to leave. It was extremely difficult to say goodbye to my little buddy, because I knew the second I let him go, he would start crying again. I wish I could have stayed there longer, and at the moment I was leaving, I felt extremely fragile. But at the same time, I was happy that our group was able to serve at the home for sick and dying babies for as long as we did. Looking back on the day, I am glad that I was able to comfort the babies for at least a little while. 

Konrad


No comments:

Post a Comment