Friday, January 25, 2013

Difficult disconnect​ions

Special and difficult are two words I would use to describe today. Special because we got to spend time with kids at the Home for Sick and Dying Babies and Gertrude's. The kids at the Home for Sick and Dying Babies are sick and dying kids. I was expecting this to be really difficult because of the possibility of seeing kids that were dying due to disease or malnourishment. It breaks my heart to think that two things that could easily be prevented affect the smallest ones and they don't even get a chance to grow up. I was very thankful today that we did not see anything that was this extreme. There were kids that were obviously malnourished but they all looked like they would recover and grow up healthy thanks to the amazing women at this place. I don't know how they can do this day in and day out. I was there twice for a total of maybe 5 hours and I was exhausted. There was one little boy who really touched me. He was a two year old and when we got there he was crying in his crib. He was holding his arms out just wanting to be held. Before I looked to see how old he was I assumed he was less than a year old due to the lack of weight. Many two year old boys that I know are running around and playing. This little guy could walk but barely. He didn't have much energy from what I could tell but once you coaxed a smile out of him he made you smile right back. At the time we left it was the most difficult. I had tried to put him down a few times earlier because there were other kids that were crying but he would not let you. When I finally had to he just wailed. I knew there was nothing I could do to console him at that point. Hearing the cries of him and all of the other kids was tough.

The next stop was Gertrude's where the kids are special needs kids. I found this amazing little boy there as well. I did not find him right away but rather after he was finished eating. He was another that just wanted to be held. He clearly love being in the sun and feeling the heat on his face. I tried to give him as much of that as I could but my Minnesota skin would not allow too much of that. There was a time for music and that brought a huge smile to his face. I am always fascinated by how keen the other senses are of blind people, especially their ability to hear. He was constantly moving his head around to listen to what was going on around him. Leaving was hard here as well. When I set him down he began to spin out of control as if someone had left him deserted. I knew there was nothing I could do with this either and that made it a difficult end to the day.

Tony Lambertz - Healing Haiti Team Member

No comments:

Post a Comment