Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Heart Strings


Today was quite the day, my heart strings were definitely pulled in many directions. The day started off with breakfast and all of us piling onto the tap tap, we drove through Haiti to go to where the water trucks get filled. I just kind of took it all in at that point, noticing the day to day life in Haiti and observing how the water trucks get filled. Then we drove to Cite Soleil, to bring them the water. The moment we got into the districts and I saw the look of pure joy on the kids faces and the shouts of "yay!", that's when it hit me. We were bringing them clean water, a basic every day need that I take for granted, and yet it brought these children so much joy. Tears formed instantly in my eyes. When we got off the tap tap, the kids were surrounding us, lifting their arms to be held. I met a little boy named Delmasu, who had no clothes or worldly possessions as far as I could see, but his smile was radiant and his eyes were so kind. On this stop I didn't help with the water truck, I just hung out with and loved the kids. They were all around the team, climbing on our backs, doing our hair, singing with us and asking us questions. All I know how to say is "beautiful" and "what's your name?", but even those simple phrases made the kids smile. After the water truck was empty, we went to Hope Church, which is a church and school that Healing Haiti is building for Cite Soleil. We prayed with the kids and sang. Hearing them cry out "God is so Good", made my heart swell. There was a little girl I was with the whole time, she didn't say much, but when we were singing she burst out in dance and praise. It was evidence to me that God is working in Haiti. Here we are delivering water to people, people that don't have much, and instead of being angry about what they don't have, they are praising God. I can't even begin to describe the way that made me feel.

The second stop went by in a blur, I was helping fill buckets from the truck, and it was pretty overwhelming. It went so fast and it was so urgent, these people need this water for their families. To bathe, to cook, to do every day life things. The moment that stuck out to me the most at this stop was the little girl who came up behind me to get water. When she got the water, instead of playing in it, or taking a bath for herself, she washed me. Me, she put me before her. This little girl was so happy that we were there, that she washed the dust off my back and neck for me. God must have known that I was stressed and slightly overwhelmed, because I believe he brought her to me. I will never forget the smile she had and the way she hugged me.

At the third stop, we got there and the kids were chanting "Hey you, hey you, hey you!", they were once again, full of smiles and so excited to see us. We got out of the tap tap and before I knew it I had two kids in my arms. One little boy fell asleep instantly in my lap. He was so peaceful and sweet. Megan told me if I sang the Justin Bieber song "Baby" that they would know it. So I thought I'd try it out, sure enough we were singing and laughing in no time. I had kids surrounding me, they would say "hey you" and then start singing and wait for me to join. One little boy was seriously getting his groove on, but every time I would look at him he would run away. Halfway through that stop though, he was at my side and smiling. They taught me how to play a slapping hands game, and I cannot tell you the last time I laughed like that. Here I was trying to serve these kids, and they were serving me. Funny how God works isn't it?

Tonight when we came back we had a discussion and we worshiped together as a team, the way that this team is bonding and coming together is such a God thing. He is doing incredible things with this team. I am so grateful to have them, when I can't quite process how I am feeling, somebody sits by me and we talk. God is truly here with us, and that in itself is a beautiful feeling.

-By, Chloe Hofstad

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful expression of your day Chloe! Thanks so much for sharing your heart with these dear people! Love & prayers to you & your team!
    ~Donna & the Zion gang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Jess and I are so proud of what God is doing through you and the rest of the team!!!

    ReplyDelete