Tuesday, January 17, 2012

hand (English )= men (Creole)


January 17, 2012

Today instead of using my hands to hit snooze on an alarm, spoon Special K w/chocolate pieces in my mouth, hold on to a handle on a transit bus, type at my computer while looking at dual screens all day, swipe my company access card and transit card, unlock the door to my abode, place the 2nd half of my lunch in the microwave for dinner, text intermittantly, and click on my TV remote control for way too much reality TV before setting an alarm to get up and do it over again....

I held hands to pray with my team, held on to the side of a 2,500-gallon water truck, held the hands OR the entire bodies of many, many children in Citi Soliel, held a jump rope, helped carry 5-gallon buckets of water into tin roofed homes that are the size of my kitchen (in a studio apt. no less), talked with my hands for people with beautiful smiles because I know little Creole (including many high-fives), clapped and hand-jived, moved buckets along a line ("respect the line"), tickled babies, lifted my hands with praise to the skies singing "Glory to God" on a shoreline of garbage, and wiped my wet brow in the 90-degree heat while being confident that this IS being the hands and feet of my Lord in a very small but meaningful ways.

Creator, grant me the insight to look for more small moments to make a difference in paragraph #1 above.

Humbly weary in a VERY good way at the end of our first full day here, Sandy

1 comment:

  1. Sandy, Excellent post and reminder of what we do with our hands each and every day. So happy you are experiencing Haiti and all the joy and love it has to share. God Bless all of you!

    ReplyDelete