Monday, January 9, 2012

Into the Wilderness

God often calls his people into the wilderness. It's a common theme throughout the Bible. He calls his people away from the comfort and security of their communities and families into a place of danger and chaos. But despite the potential harm that lies in the wilderness, it is often a setting for intense and dramatic encounters with God that lead to spiritual transformation, awakening, and revival.

I believe God has called me into the wilderness. I understand that Haiti is not a desert wasteland like the typical wilderness environment described in the Bible. Quite the opposite, Haiti is populated with over 9 million of God's children. But the lens through which the Haitians have experienced life is far different than mine. As an American, I simply cannot fathom the level of poverty, hunger, tragedy, chaos, and heartbreak that the people of Haiti encounter on a daily basis. But God has called me into a destination of heartbreak. He has called me to ignore my fears, leave the security of my loving family, and serve a people that desperately need our love and support. In doing so, God has put me in a situation to completely rely on Him.

I am so thankful for God's call and I feel privileged to serve on this mission trip. Please pray that as our team serves the people of Haiti we encounter a dramatic "wilderness experience" with God. Pray for spiritual transformation in our lives and in the lives of those we serve. Finally, please pray that despite any language barrier, the people we serve could see and hear Jesus through all that we do in Haiti.

Thank you for your prayers!










No comments:

Post a Comment