Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The sights, sounds and aroma of Haiti are now in full view for those of us here for the first time.  As the day started on Tuesday, I wondered how willing I would be to do what God was asking us to do today.  I had been willing to take the time, buy the airline ticket and attend the meetings, but today I wondered.  We have been well prepared for the trip by Mike and Nikki, but the reality is something you cannot fully grasp until stepping into midst of the daily life of the Haitian people.

If you think you work hard in your daily life, think again!!  The work to acquire water for their daily needs is their most important work.  Water from the truck is distributed by filling the buckets brought by the residents.  I helped a young teen girl carry a 5 gallon water bucket the equivalent of a couple of big city blocks.  I'm sure I was more a hindrance to her than a help as I had to stop to reposition my hands, or just take a break.   She just smiled in gratitude.  I pray that lightening the load for just this brief encounter was a blessing to her.

By: Pam Trumbower, Team Member





No comments:

Post a Comment